When the air is white with the down o’ thistle,
And the sky is red with the Harvest Moon.
–RICHARD WATSON GILDER
This year’s Harvest Moon was full and fell on Friday the 13th. Imagine the mood. Full moons are meant for reaping, (new moons for sowing); throw the harvest on it and you’ve got quite a reception.
In honor of the moonings-on, I am (finally) participating in T H E M O O N L I S T :
Select 6-10 questions to answer. Consider whatever timeframe you want to look back on…
Maybe you share and talk through your lists with a friend or partner. Maybe you develop your own ritual (lighting a candle or a stick of special incense). Maybe you do it outside or at dinner, or at the park. Maybe it is spontaneous. Maybe it’s written down; maybe spoken aloud…
With that in mind, my timeframe is full moon to full moon—
T H E M E: harvest
- My dog has new functionality: squirrel scythe. She has killed three bushy-tailed babies in one month, and since her first kill she has become disinterested in anything other than the hunt. While she is only answering her wildness’ call, I still get upset with every death. My overarching feel about this whole situation is torn-ness*.
- One of my favorite podcasters once explained the concept of harvesting haters by succeeding. This has been a theme for me this moon cycle, the hater being me. My self-sabotaging has been quite active–a daily flood of memory-regretshames unleashed in hopes that any and all trickles will penetrate and drown me into quitting my forward progress. Remembering to have mercy, that I am lucky, and have everything to be grateful for is good medicine, thank you very much. I hope for the day when this self-sabotage instinct is overwritten for good.
*R.I.P. Jael Strauss
A B S E N C E
. . . what was missing?
A R T E N C O U N T E R
- “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes”
- “The Swimming Song”
- “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right”
- “Electric Feel”
- “Hot Girl”
- “Drunk in Love (Homecoming Live)”
*R.I.P. Ric Ocasek
G R A T I T U D E
. . . Something to honor this month
As ever: the time that’s given to us.
D I S C A R D
. . . Something you decided to rid from your life, or perhaps that you are particularly happy to see come to a close.
The D.T.A. creed. Despite its charm.
S U R P R I S E
Other than my dog’s foray into serial killer-dom, an invitation.